Sunday, July 09, 2006

Puff piece on Martha Hall Findlay or airing the dirty laundry?

You decide

First this

You can see the problem. There couldn't be two Liberal candidates in
Newmarket-Aurora, and Stronach ... well, let's just say she wanted to keep her
riding, if not her party.
What to do, what to do?
The official problem-solver was Karl Littler, senior aide in the PMO. He delivered the news to Hall Findlay that May evening at a Liberal reception at Reds. Or, as she
recalls: "Technically, Karl told my friend Liana Turrin who was with me, who
then took me aside (into the women's washroom, to be precise) to tell me that
`Belinda is crossing the floor.'
"It was pretty crowded and that was a more private place to absorb the news. I had just been introduced earlier by (then-cabinet member) Bill Graham to the crowd as one of `our key candidates' getting ready for what we felt was an imminent election, so you can imagine it was a tough message to deliver. Then, we went to dinner."
They went upstairs, where they were joined by party president Michael Eizenga, who remembers Littler telling him: "We may need somebody with soft hands." Hall
Findlay didn't need to be told what was coming: they asked her to step aside.
Stronach was the bride — rich, well-known, glamorous, daughter of auto-parts
magnate Frank, linked to Bill Clinton — and who was Hall Findlay but a
bridesmaid?

So Eizenga was in on the move too?

Then this

"With all due respect, the shit hit the fan," says Wallace. "I was shocked. I couldn't believe it. I wanted Martha to come out screaming and yelling and pulling out Belinda's hair and gouging her eyes out. A lot of people thought, `Well, okay, the Liberals will take care of Martha,' but they didn't. They just said, `Too bad.' I had a chance to sit down with Paul Martin after that and I had just one question for him. I asked him point-blank what they did for Martha Hall Findlay, and he said, `Nothing.'"


I'm no fan of the liberal party, but half of the article is full of good reason's why this woman deserves to be liberal leader, and none of them partisan.
The other half of the article describes very honestly what is wrong with the liberal party.

I now believe that if she became leader she would give as good as she gets.
Her only handicap would be the same as any other winner in the race for Stornoway, the inner circle of the liberal party would drag her down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home